Saturday, December 29, 2012

Pay It Forward (#13: Be a Volunteer for Once at a Running/Tri Event. Pass Out Water Cups. Cheer Loudly.)

"Thank you for being here."

These five words make such a difference.  It's funny, because these are the exact same words I would tell the volunteers as I would run by the aid stations, grabbing water or pretzels and then continuing on my merry way.

I'll be completely honest, I had no idea what PIC and I were in for.  I was thinking, sure, arrive at 5:30am, head to the designated aid station area, set up and cheer!  

It was freezing cold this morning, drizzling, muddy, and dark.  The Brazen Running race directors were so incredibly organized with all the details, even down to the amounts of water gallons going to each aid station.  We had to load everything into the cars- trunkfuls of water, cardboard garbage cans, signs, tables, plastic bins of snacks, then drive to the area, unload everything and set up before the runners arrived.

Did I mention it was cold?

I was manning the snack station.  There's something awesome about being a registered dietitian and organizing rows of Mike and Ike's, M&Ms, potato chips, and cutting up PayDay candy bars.  This year, the bibs had the runner's first name printed, so I could cheer by name.  I remember at Florida Ironman as I was struggling during the marathon.  Hearing random bystanders scream, "Looking strong, Julianne!" was such a motivator.  I mean, I was clearly not 'looking strong,' but hearing my name really perked me up.  So I had fun staring at bibs and cheering personally for the runners.


PIC and me, working our 'corner'
We later realized the dixie cups were meant for the snacks, not water. Didn't get that memo.

It was definitely an eye-opening experience to be on the other side of the race.  There is so much work that occurs behind-the-scenes in order to create a smooth-running event.  Oftentimes the participants are never aware of it, myself included.  I now have a deeper respect and appreciation for all race directors out there...thank you for all your work to keep us athletes safe, well-hydrated, well-fueled, and on the right race course!

After a good lunch and a solid nap, I had an urge to swim, and swim long.  A common epic workout is the New Year's Day 100x100 swim set.  It's awesome if you have 3 hours to burn on New Year's Day, but I had 3 hours to burn today.  I was really inspired.  You have to be incredibly inspired to pull this off, so I just went with it and packed some extra treats to keep me going that long.  


Since I couldn't run a 10K today, I decided I would swim a 10K.
I had just completed 4,000 yards when this guy in the next lane started profusely apologizing to me.  Apparently, he almost dove on top of me because he didn't see me (it was around dusk.)  I had no idea; I was just doing my set.  I finagled him into joining me for my next 10x100s.  Company is always better.  After that set, he threatened me, saying I'd put him in the ER if he kept swimming at that pace, and he was getting out. 

I continued the rest on my own.  It was so hard to focus at the end.  The fatigue from the early morning was starting to set in.  But I finished, and the beautiful full moon was shimmering in the night sky over the pool.  Sights like these are forever etched in my mind.  Epic swims are rewarded with epic sights.  It's only fair, I suppose.


Solid swims= solid recovery nutrition.
They always say, "Thank the volunteers."  Now I can say that yes, it makes a difference to hear those 5 words...they are so appreciated by everyone, and it makes the numb fingers/toes, early wake-up call and manual labor totally worth it.   To all my blog readers, I will say this to you, "Thank you for being here." 

No comments:

Post a Comment