Sunday, January 6, 2013

Art.

Recently I've been inspired by individuals and their art.  Although their tangible art forms are impressive, I am more moved by their ability to be fully present in the creative process and connect with their heart.  So often in life we are stifled by society's notion that we must all follow the safe 'life track' of getting a higher education, getting a stable job, getting married, and starting a family that we lose our True Selves and our ability to express our unique creativity.

Spending so much time and energy to blend in with society's norms and culture has left many of us tired and uninspired.

Oftentimes, I hear people tell me that they are not 'artistic.'  They misunderstand the beauty of art, because in reality, there are no rules.  It is not restrictive, it is freeing.  You merely create and connect with your heart.  There are no right ways or wrong ways to create.  Art is spontaneously inspired, like play... easy, nonjudgemental, and flowing.


I had the pleasure of meeting a right-brained artist in a left-brained work environment.
Place your order...www.vranadesign.com
In the artist's own words, this was "inspired by the Golden Gate Bridge and architecture. The idea of tension appeals to me; specifically holding something together versus pulling it apart."

I'm not just talking about painting or sculpting.  Art is really the external manifestations of whatever things you are passionate about in life, and it can take many mediums- through object form, music, cooking, and even sport.


Food as art.
Maki-sushi and ozoni created and prepared by my family for Japanese New Years.
Fellow cyclist Walter participated in the artistic process by creating his own
 homemade energy bar with GU gel, chia seeds, hemp seeds, and brown rice.

This year I decided not to make the typical New Year's Resolutions, as those are often driven by the mind.  I did, however, resolve to create more and connect more.  For some reason, these resonate more deeply in my heart and give me the creative space for play. 


My mani-reminder: Embrace your uniqueness.  Don't be afraid to stand out.
We are all artists, and our art is the expression of our own beautiful spirits.   I can't wait to see what we all will create in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment