Thursday, December 13, 2012

When Life Gives You Lemons...

I don't like to give much energy to an injury, but this is my modern-day 'lemon.'


Luckily, it's not broken.  After 7 miles into a run, it literally felt like I was running on a broken left foot.  The x-rays confirmed that there was no hairline fracture, just a heel spur.  Two weeks off from running has helped, although now it seems like two weeks is still not enough time.  The race directors for Coyote Trails were awesome and credited the 1/2 marathon I was supposed to run last Saturday towards a future running race.  Score.  I encourage you to run a race to support them.  Register here.

So lately, I've been making lemonade that looks like this:
Therapeutic swim sesh
Saturday spin with soon-to-be Ironwoman Cammy
Solo chilly ride after the rain.
Not being able to run has made me even more grateful for the fact that I can still swim and bike.  Today I did my favorite 50 miler loop, making sure to enjoy every single Redwood tree, curve in the road, and the beautiful fall leaves changing colors.  I first learned of this route in the winter of 2006; there is a special something about this crisp and cool time of year and riding all bundled up in layers and feeling the chilly wind upon my cheeks.  I was so aware of my surroundings today and did my best to take it all in, all while enjoying the therapeutic nature of spinning out my legs and the thoughts in my mind.

Beauty from two wheels...
It has been an interesting detour in my training, and I am curious to see how my 2013 race season will unfold.  But like I've learned this past year, sometimes all you need is time and patience.  And things always miraculously work out for the best.

Everything needs time to be fully realized.  Even tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment