Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Forgiveness and Gratitude.

I am no expert in these two areas, but I have learned to appreciate them much more in my life recently.  Yes, it's hard to forgive.  But when you fully 'unplug' your circuits from a hurtful experience or person and stop investing energy into the past, it is amazing how revitalizing and freeing it is to live in the present.  Unattach yourself completely from the pain, anger and resentment.  Look forward with intention.



On the other hand, to be the recipient of true forgiveness from someone you've hurt (either unintentionally or intentionally) is a beautiful thing.  Some people in this world are lucky enough to receive such grace.  I am one of them.

Allowing forgiveness to be a prominent theme in my life during these past few weeks has opened up my heart and has enabled me to more clearly see the world and people's true souls with utter gratitude.

Grateful for good chiropractic help for my heel.
Grateful for my first relatively pain-free run in 3 weeks.
A year ago when I started this blog, I was focused so intensely on my own hurts and wounds that it was difficult to consciously adopt an attitude of gratitude.  But now I realize the power of our thoughts and intentions, and how focusing on the positive things can dictate how we navigate through our lives.  This small shift in thinking can affect major changes in our physical and mental realities.

Rumi knows what's up.
My dear friend Praveena told me about this idea of a Gratitude Jar.  Did something amazing happen to you during your day that you're thankful for?  Write it on a slip of paper and put it in  your jar.  Did someone say something nice to you that made you feel grateful?  Write it down and drop it in the jar.  Keep this up throughout the year.

At the end of the year, instead of coming up with stressful New Years resolutions, rather, you can go through your jar and recall all the moments, thoughts, comments and people in your life that you are grateful for.   Join us both as we fill our jars up and embark on this gratitude journey in the upcoming year.  Forgive whatever happened in 2012.  Look forward to 2013 with acceptance and gratitude. 


No comments:

Post a Comment