Thursday, December 6, 2012

Going With the Flow (#14: Meditate Consistently for One Week)

Yoga doesn't get much attention on this blog.  Until now.  I have this competitive streak that mostly shows its face in sport.  I like to strive, to push, to dig deep, to win.

You can't win yoga.

Through the years I have learned to be more accepting of my body in yoga.  Early on, I used to strain and pride myself on being able to do 'advanced' poses.  No blocks for me, thank you.  I'm flexible.  I had no concept of the breath- I was too busy holding it just to keep my balance in an unassisted asana.



Luckily now, I have a deeper appreciation of my practice, my breath, my awareness.  Although I am still learning to let go.  During one class, the teacher gave us the option of going into headstand or bridge pose.  Immediately, my instinct was to take on the headstand challenge (for the record, I can't really do a headstand).  It seemed as though everyone in the class was stabilizing themselves into the headstand, until I saw someone who I fully respect go into the (easier option) of the bridge pose.  I followed her lead.  I felt a sense of relief and of acceptance as I humbly arched my back and wiggled my shoulders underneath my body.  I took a deep breath in, and then exhaled.  This is where I'm at now.  And that's ok.

I let go.  

This concept  of 'letting go' within my yoga practice has assisted me as I started my meditation journey.  Yes, it's a struggle at first not to think about my to-do list for the day, but after awhile, it became easier to gently release those thoughts.  Instead, I would be still- and in this stillness, I'd invite other thoughts in, allowing them to marinate in my conscious, and then lovingly let them go.  I started specifically practicing metta meditation and have experienced amazing breakthroughs in my personal life from just one week.  


My favorite meditation spot- in front of the fireplace on my bolster

The inner athlete in me is learning to finally be still- without the need to pause the Garmin...to finally know what it feels like to be more grounded.   Sometimes less is more.  Yoga blocks aren't crutches, they are just props.  

When you experience acceptance and forgiveness towards your physical body, this can be strongly translated into your meditation- which ultimately results in huge transformations in your external world.

Trust me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment