Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Parenting and Pottery.

With Mother's Day being last Sunday, it really got me thinking about parenting- not just the diapers, laundry, Play Doh messes and school projects, but the parenting part- like knowing where to draw the line, when to lay down the discipline and when to give in- and doing it all with unconditional love... In reality, no book can teach you how to do this.  Hats off to all the parents out there.  I don't know how you do it.  It's hard enough for me to remember when to deep condition my hair and take out the trash.

On Monday, my dad called me to let me know that the ceramic teacup I had made was now glazed and finished.  When I had last left my teacup, it was plain white.  Back then my dad asked me, "Do you want me to put a design on it?"  I didn't hesitate to answer.  "Absolutely!"

I loved the design that he put on it- one of his signature "Kanzaki-swoosh" marks that was inspired in-the-moment and always artistically contains three dots, representing the Trinity.  Like Thomas Kinkade always hid his wife's initials in his paintings, all of my dad's ceramic pieces contain this similar trademark.



I got home and was admiring my precious teacup.  In a way, it symbolically reminded me of the relationship between a parent and a child.  I remembered the process of transforming that blob of clay by gently molding it with my hands and applying just the right amount of pressure and water.  Too much pressure, and the cup would have wobbled and collapsed.  Too much water, and the cup would have become a heap of slurry.  I thought about how my dad had artistically "marked" the cup in his expression of creativity and love- and how parents often put their mark and investments into their child with the purest of intentions.

And similarly, just as each ceramic piece must be fired at a high temperature in the kilm to remove impurities, each child must endure a coming of age into adulthood with its similar tests of character refinement.  A ceramicist who stares at the final product- a teacup- may be like a parent wondering about their child-
"Will she fill her life with good things?  Things of lasting qualities?  Things of integrity?  Will she be half empty or half full? Will she hold things that are sweet or bitter?"

I placed the teacup on my mantle as a reminder- I want to be a cup filled with encouragement  that refreshes other's spirits.  I want to be of service.  I want to hold only those qualities that nourish and strengthen.  I want to always be filled with faith, perseverance, and hope.


Sunshine yellow dress + tiara + rockstar legs = Mom-to-be Brooke
One of GL Coaching's own, Brooke, will be a mom soon.  All of us are excited for this new chapter in her life.  Knowing Brooke, I am confident that her little teacup will be filled to the brim with qualities of strength, grace, tenacity, humility, and pure grit, just like her momma.  Cheers to all the parents out there- thank you for taking to the potter's wheel and doing your best to create living and beautiful art through your children.


Can't wait for Addison to grow out of these so I can draft off of her!



4 comments:

  1. Just beautiful, Julianne: the teacup, the sentiments, and the truth! Your parenting perspective is right on and you would make an amazing mum (should you choose to accept that challenge).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am humbled by your kind words. Thank you for reading and for your encouraging feedback...and who knows about the mum part? Only time will tell! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful words filled with thoughtfulness and compassion. Your spirit is present in this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, April. I appreciate your feedback, especially coming from a woman who recognizes authenticity and delving deeper into the thought process...

      Delete