Monday, May 27, 2013

Memories Don't Die.

May 27th.
19 years ago, my fellow classmate, Jenny Lin, was tied up and stabbed to death in her home.  I still remember that morning, walking outside to grab the morning paper.  My hands were shaking as I read the headlines splattered across the front page of the newspaper.  It seemed unreal.  She was the poster child of a perfect student and a perfect daughter- an accomplished musician, a straight-A student, and a kind friend.  It was a month before our 8th grade graduation.  We had the same Birkenstock sandals.

To this day, no one has been arrested.  There are many unanswered questions.  I sometimes wonder who she would have grown up to be professionally and what those amazingly raw talents at the tender age of 14 would have developed into.  Her legacy will always remain- her smile, her bangs cut straight across her face, the music she loved and created, and the friends she kept.

Whenever this day rolls around, I remember.  To me, this day serves as a candid reminder that life is short and so often can be unfairly stripped away. 

Hug those you love.  Don't be afraid to vocalize your feelings and tell those who you admire how valuable they are to you.

Some of my best #bananaart yet...

Live wide.
Love deep.
Because you really never know when your last day on this earth will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment