Thursday, March 28, 2013

#1830

Dear #1830:

It's been almost one week since I first met you, yet due to the nature of our sport, I feel like I already know so much about you. 

We exist in a sport that weighs so heavily on numbers (pace, heartrate, power, cadence, miles, speed)-  even 4 numbers attached to a racebelt represent your identity... yet behind those numbers I know there is a strength and a resilience that cannot be captured by objective data.

The outsiders call us crazy, but to each other, there is an invisible thread that weaves us together because of our shared experiences, albeit very personal, on and off of the race course.  We all have hit very dark, dark places that crack us open so we can feel the center of our own soul; yet have found strength in that vulnerability that eventually fuels us forward.
And always forward.  It is a sport that continually breaks us and rebuilds us, in a physical, spiritual, and emotional sense.

I read this beautiful article and thought of you, your dad, and how toeing the line on Saturday at Oceanside 70.3 is symbolic of so much more than swimbikerun.  

When it comes to living, it is always better to DNF than to DNS.

And so, on Saturday, my dear #1830, I ask that you forget about the numbers and think about your mantra- FEARLESS.  I know you said you were borrowing it from me, but it is now fully yours to embrace.  Because what we think about, we become.  So may your head be filled with good and positive thoughts.


Your Oceanside 70.3 wristband mantra...
The famous Aussie coach always reminds us to think, "I feel good, I feel strong, I feel relaxed," and even when I'm in the middle of a horrendous hill climb, it's amazing how I say those words and my body follows suit.  You can borrow these too; I'm sure he won't mind.

Leave the fear of the unknown behind.  Race with your heart.  It will not disappoint you.

Love,
#2111


A 'lil #throwback Thursday action- Oceanside 70.3 2010
P.S. And whatever you do, don't forget the important stuff-  Smile for the camera and pee in your wetsuit before the gun goes off.  (I just saved you from being asked if people can borrow your wetsuit.  You're welcome.)


No comments:

Post a Comment