Sunday, August 19, 2012

Wheels 'n Heels

Breaking news!  Suri Cruise learned how to ride a bike.  Pretty soon she'll be chick-ing Lance in way cuter cycling kits.  The girl's got style!

At least we won't be in the same age group.

Today I dusted off the TT bike and met Dana for a 50 mile ride.  She recognized a fellow teammate wearing a TriValley Velo kit, and he accompanied us as we rode with no real route; she just had to get 3 hours in the bank for today.  Long course nationals are in one month!  Part of our route included some gorgeous scenery overlooking Livermore wineries.  I took in the beauty of my surroundings, felt the wind on my face, and was just so thankful for moments like these- I am so lucky to be able to do what I love, to be surrounded by amazing people and live a pretty carefree life.  

They say that bike miles are those that you can lose yourself in and also find yourself.  I agree.  There have been plenty of bike miles that I've been able to escape "reality" and empty out my mind and cycle out my stress with each pedal stroke.  Equally, there have been bike miles that have stripped me to my core and have caused me to understand who I am and what I stand for.  Today, I was just merely present, and taking it all in.

Funny thing.  At the end of the ride, it turned out that Dana really didn't know the rider personally, she just was friendly because he rode for TVV!  Oh, what a cycling kit can do for someone.  The nice guy towed us around for 40 miles; I was so close to his wheel that I could smell his laundry detergent.  Poor guy had 2 twin 5-year old girls at home and had a hall pass for only 2 hours.  Hopefully next time the wifey will allow 3 hours of sanity cycling time; his wheel was a pretty steady and speedy wheel to follow!

After taking off my Giro helmet, I put my Maid of Honor helmet on and met Kimi to review the venue sites.

Gazebos always remind of The Sound of Music...
"You are 16, going on 17..."

Where the vows will be exchanged. Where I spotted the froyo man.

While talking about seating arrangements and wedding day timelines and uber-important wedding information, I spotted some guy on the bench eating  froyo.  After that, I was completely distracted like a 3-year old.  Where did he get that?  It's so hot. There has to be a froyo place nearby!  Chair seating arrangements, corsages, guest book, wha??

Kimi was a self-serve froyo virgin.  SERIOUSLY?  And I thought I lived under a rock.  I was a good MOH and showed her the ropes of mixing flavors and trying all 30 toppings.  And you know, all the wedding day diets suggest eating 4 lbs of nonfat froyo rather than 1/2 c. of real ice cream. (I kid, I kid)

Kimi, I'm sorry. Get ready to say adios to half your wedding budget.

The reception is literally 0.2 miles from where the ceremony is held.  But walking 0.2 miles in platform heels feels like 20 miles.  Everyone who knows me well knows that I hate functional fitness.  I'll run 16 miles and yet drive to my mailbox.  My high heels/flat feet conundrum reminded me of this cool video about feet that was shared by my new cyclist buddy from San Diego (thanks, SK!).  How is it that I've never heard of MobilityWOD until now?  Obviously, I must live under a rock.

Tomorrow I'm going for a real run (really early too) with 2 of the most amazing and life-changing people I've ever met.  Turns out they are on this side of the globe for awhile- I'm lucky to be able to see them again in person.  

Has anyone out there who has flat feet or severely overpronates been able to successfully transition to minimalist running?  Thoughts?




No comments:

Post a Comment