Friday, August 10, 2012

9.5 is the new 6.5

It's been awhile since I've done this drive.  Once it took me only 6.5 hours from the Bay Area to San Diego.  Today it took 9.5 hours.  I also drive like a grandma when I have my bike on my roofrack.  Like even slower than the grandpas on the road.  I just wave at them while all the other cars swerve angrily around us.  I just need to wear dark wrap-around shades and sit lower in my seat so that I match the grandpas.

It's hard for me to sit still for 10 minutes.  I'd rather lead group therapy sessions for the Kardashians than sit in a car for more than an hour, so I did myself a favor and did a sanity swim set of 4100 yards this morning before I hit the road.  The benefit of driving was that I could load up my entire car with all of my stuff.  I don't see how people with kids do it. 

Quick suit review: the 2-piece Betty Designs suit is no joke.  This suit is functional!  After falling in love with her cute cycling kits, I wanted to try her swimsuits.  I've swam in 2-piece TYR and Nike suits, and across the board, I had issues with all of them because the bottoms would loosen up and slow me down!  Not with BD suits- the bottoms are fitted and stay put, so you don't have to worry about mooning the guy in the lane next to you when you do a flip turn.  Good quality, and you honestly swim faster with a butterfly on your crotch!  Worth the money.


Ms. Multi-tasking. Drying the suit on the dash. Free advertising for Betty Designs.
Truckers can't wait to order their speedos now!
Wearing my Betty Designs cycling kit. (From Tierra Bella Century)

Tomorrow morning I'm gonna hop onto the SDBC Saturday group ride and see how long I can hang with the big boys.  I printed out route directions as back-up, because in reality, I'll probably get dropped in the parking lot since they average high 20s, low 30 mphs?  Should be interesting.  

San Diego holds a lot of memories from my college years and beyond.  This weekend I'm hoping to rekindle all that I've loved about this city, visit with some old friends, and have a decent amount of swimbikerun thrown in there for good measure.  Life is pretty amazing with all of its twists and turns, but when it brings you back to places with amazing sun and ocean water, it must be pretty darn good after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment