Saturday, August 11, 2012

Lessons from a Sunset

When I rolled into the parking lot near UC Cyclery in La Jolla, I honestly was expecting a handful of riders, similar to the amount you'd normally get for a Saturday bike shop ride.  As I was pumping up my tires and prepping my bike, I was looking around at the fit cyclists in their race kits and kick a$$$$$ bikes.  I honestly felt more nervous this morning than I have felt before any races I've done all year!


Ummm...so like, where are all the girls at?
UC Cyclery was a great host shop and provided the riders with hydration and bananas pre-ride.
Too bad I can't stand bananas.  :(

There were 6 separate rides based on ability.  I was the newbie in town and didn't want to break any "rules" of the rotating double pacelines, so I stuck to the more conservative group.  I was glad I did.  There were probably only 3 times during the entire ride that my heartrate crept out of zone 2, but I had a blast enjoying this beautiful city via bike, making new friends, and learning the lingo of the paceline.  Words like "clear" and "last" and stuff like that....stuff that you will never ever hear or say in a real paceline.  This was a new riding routine to me- I'm used to the "every man for himself" mindset.  We rode much faster and more efficiently when we all worked together as a team.  You know, chalk up another important lesson that can apply to life.  I should write a book.

There were two riders who were also closet hammerheads like myself, so on the parts where there was a sprint to the top, it was the 3 of us who took off like balls shot out of a cannon.  We became friends instantly and ended up sticking together for the ride home.


For all of my non-cyclist girlfriends.  Here is pictorial proof that not just F.O.G.'s (Fat Old Guys) ride bikes.
You're welcome.

After the ride, I headed out to UCSD's Canyonview Pool to see where all my tuition money went.  Surprise, surprise... the long course pool that my dollars funded was closed, but I still happily sold my road bike along with my Garmin 910XT to afford a one-day day pass to the regular 25-meter lane pool.  


This is where I used to de-stress in college.  Love.this.pool.


Digital paceclocks!  So now there is digital proof when I miss my interval!
No trip to San Diego is complete without visiting the cliffs.  There were some Asian college students there watching the sunset too; it reminded me of my younger self.  The cliffs, the ocean lapping underneath you, the tiny silhouettes of the surfers, and the sunset- some beautiful things never change.  I thought about how much has happened to me in my life during these past 10 years.  All the lessons, the trials, the joys, the accomplishments, and the hope that the future holds.



Made it just in time...
Watching the sunset was a visual reminder that there is an appropriate time to allow things and circumstances to "set"-  to gradually remove themselves and their presence from our lives.  True, there was a time when their rays burned strong on our skin and provided light to us.  But just like the sun, those things needs to set in order for life to continue and progress.  And if we allow it, there can be exquisite beauty in that fading away, in that goodbye.



As I watched the sun disappear behind the clouds, I was also reminded of all the things that never fade.  And even after 10 years, these things remain unconditional, steadfast, and hopeful. 



No comments:

Post a Comment