Saturday, June 30, 2012

Same Route, Different Journey

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."  -Heraclitus

Speaking of rivers, today I issued an eviction notice to the E. Coli residing in the Russian River. They have less than a month to evacuate.  Or it's on.  Like Donkey Kong. (or maybe off, like Vineman is completely called off, we'll see...)

Today was the Vineman recon ride, where we had 85 miles to preview the crappy roads and ride up the infamous Chalk Hill (it's not really all that it's "chalked up" to be, eh guys?).  I have a soft spot in my heart for this course because it helped establish the journey to my first Ironman.  I used the Half Aquabike in 2008 to give me courage to sign up for my first half Ironman in Oceanside (2009), and used the Full Aquabike (2009) to convince myself that I could physically do a full Ironman (2011).  You know, just add a marathon at the end, and we're good!  For me, it's all about setting small goals, achieving them, and setting larger goals and going after those.  Baby steps, people. 

Mike decided he didn't have enough practice last week changing my flats last week, so he helped out another rider this week who flatted near the beginning.  We ended up getting dropped by the main group, but between the 4 of us, we had enough tubes, patch kits, tire levers and nutrition to keep everyone happy.

Reason #433 as to why I'm not the ride leader. I can't even understand my own map
Luckily, we just followed the boys' rears
Guess who is gonna do the Full Aquabike?  Hammerhead on the left.
I'm betting he's gonna win the thing and then register for Ultraman at the rate he's been going.
With the exception of a few additional mechanical hiccups in the ride, it was an incredibly gorgeous route with perfect weather.  Next time we're ditching the bikes and just hitting up the wineries.


Riding this course brought back so many memories.  I remember at first how Chalk Hill was THE HILL at mile 46.  Like you would shiver in your chamois and take 2 gels at mile 40 and pray to the cycling gods that you wouldn't blow up and vomit all over the Team in Training volunteers with their cowbells.  But now, it's just chalk hill (doesn't even deserve caps!).  Nothin' crazy.  It's funny how the route has stayed exactly the same, but each time I've ridden it, I can see how much I've changed.  

The first time racing the Full Aquabike in 2009




A few years ago I rode this route with someone that I thought I'd spend the rest of my life with.   I remember first riding this course on a road bike, and a year later, on a road bike with clip-on aero bars.  And now as I ride it with new friends, a new TT bike, and a new triathlon kit, I am grateful (and relieved in other areas) that things change in life as we grow as athletes and individuals.  It's good to try out new riding routes, but there's something special about coming back to the old ones and seeing how much you've grown since you've last ridden them.

But some things will always stay the same.  I still love riding my bike.


No comments:

Post a Comment