Monday, June 4, 2012

Being a patient, in PJs, and pancakes...

Look what I woke up to this morning on the breakfast table.  Seeing all the vicodin I've been inhaling, Nurse Mom does know best.  She had already left for work and was busy seeing her real patients by the time I woke up.


Senna and Ex-lax. My mom obviously knows her sh*t 


I knew I was feeling better and more like myself when I came downstairs and was slightly pissed that my dad didn't make me coffee. (For the record, he makes the best aeropress coffee.  This man has a system for everything, even his coffee, and you can taste the difference.)  Too bad he had already left to volunteer at the old school he had worked at for years before retiring.  (I forgot that most people actually have a life and have stuff to do on Mondays).  When he returned (and found me on the couch, the same place I was when he left), I expressed my disappointment in his behavior this morning. Being the all-star dad that he is, he promptly made me a cup of his special aeropress coffee.  I know.  So spoiled.


Coffee always tastes better in a ceramic mug. And when someone else makes it for you, yeah?


I realized then how I've become the "patient in pain" to the "pain in the a$$" patient overnight, so I think I'm definitely on the mend.  They are dumping me off at my own apartment tonight because it is more than obvious that I'm better.


I have been going crazy sitting on this couch for 2 days straight.  My workouts have consisted of this:
Warm-up: 20 minutes, get HR slowly up to 60%
5 x 2 minute walk to fridge at 65% max HR and return to couch 
7 x 2 minute walk to kitchen to refill water bottle at 70% max HR and return to couch
50 x 1 minute walk to bathroom (all my readers should know the size of my tiny bladder by now) at 65% max HR
10 x 2 minute walk to upstairs bathroom at 80% max HR (gotta throw some interval training in there somewhere, yeah?)


Repeat the above 3 times.  Cooldown 15 minutes until HR is 50% max or below.


The caffeine made me feel ambitious, and with my recent obsession with coconut flour I decided to actually DO something and make some low-carb, gluten-free coconut flour pancakes!


Ingredients:
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk (raw cow's or coconut milk work best)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 Tb. honey
- 1/2 c. coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- coconut oil or butter for frying (or non-stick cooking spray)


The huge bottle on the left is honey. Obviously, there is more than enough sweetness in this household.  Forget the tiny honey bear containers!




Directions:


1.  Preheat griddle over medium-low heat.  In a small bowl, beat eggs until frothy.  Mix in milk, vanilla, and honey.


2.  In a medium-sized bowl, combine dry ingredients and whisk together. 


3.  Stir wet mixture into dry mixture until coconut flour is incorporated.


4.  Grease pan with butter or coconut oil.  Ladle a few tablespoons of batter into the pan for each pancake. (Note: The batter is thick, try not to freak out.)  Spread it out slightly with the back of a spoon.  The pancakes should be 2-3 inches in diameter.  


5.  Cook for a few minutes on each side, until small bubbles form.  Flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.


6.  Serve hot with butter, coconut oil, honey, syrup or fruit.  Enjoy!
I topped mine with organic blueberries and pure maple syrup


Growing up, my dad would always make pancakes for my sister and me on the weekends.  We played a game where we had to guess what "secret" ingredient he had added to the batter.  One week it would be bananas, another week it would be almond extract...


This time the tables were turned and he got to guess what heck his dietitian daughter put in these pancakes...But he loved them, said they were fluffy (yeah!) and filling (from the protein and fiber).  This is the same man who will pound down 3 cups of white rice at one sitting and go back for seconds, so I think we may be making some headway around here!


Dad chose peanut butter as his topping of choice and still enjoyed them as much as I did!
These are best eaten with loved ones, in your pajamas, as I demonstrated today.

No comments:

Post a Comment