Thursday, May 24, 2012

I'm Cuckoo for Coconut Flour


Just like Jessica Simpson can never have enough shoes, it seems like as endurance athletes, we can never stuff enough carbs into our mouths.


But once in awhile, a girl's gotta have some protein, fiber, and omega-3/6 fatty acids.  In our multi-tasking society where you can find everything from 3-in-1 hairspray to 3-in-1 nail polish, it's pretty cool to have a 3-in-1 food product that contains protein, fiber and omega-3/6 fats.  And low-calorie, low-carb and gluten-free?  Yes, please!  (Now I finally got the attention of all you Crossfit geeks on the Paleo diet)


A dieter's paradise, complete with the palm tree in the background

Better stats than Lebron James


I recently stumbled upon a recipe for Coconut Flour Porridge.  Similar to Showtime rotisserie's concept of "set it and forget it," you only take 1 minute to mix the ingredients (coconut flour, chia seeds, your sweetener of choice, water or milk) in a mason jar, place it in the refrigerator either for an hour or overnight, and let it do its magic.


The chia seeds absorb the liquid (they can hold 9-12 times their weight in water) and this is what forms the porridge consistency.  As a complete protein containing high amounts of omega-3s, I could write paragraphs upon paragraphs about their benefits, but that's what google is for. 






Those ancient Mayans and Aztecs were really on to something, eh?


I eat oatmeal with flaxseed and a scoop of BiPro protein powder pretty religiously for my brekky throughout the year, so once in awhile, it's nice to change things up for spring.  Kinda like hair highlights.


Here's the recipe for Coconut Flour/Chia Seed Porridge:
-2 Tb. coconut flour
-2 Tbs. chia seeds (I used whole seeds)
-1 c. water
-sweetener of choice (honey, Stevia, Splenda, Truvia, agave, maple syrup, etc etc)


1. Mix all the ingredients together in a mason jar or other container




2. Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour, which allows it to expand and congeal


Just like I'm sure Angelina Jolie looks waaay hotter in person, this porridge photo doesn't do it justice!
3. Feel free to add additional milk/liquids to the porridge until you reach your desired consistency (I used almond milk). 
4. Add cinnamon, fruit, chocolate pieces, nuts, or any other 37 pieces of flair


There are tons of recipes using coconut flour, and one includes coconut flour pancakes, which I'll be making soon and using my harshest critics for taste-testers (my family, duh).  When my parents first got married, my mom made spaghetti.  After filling his plate with pasta, my dad asked where the rice was.  So obviously, not only do I have an awesome dad, I also have a carb-fanatic on my hands and an I'm-betting-you're-prediabetic-if-I-saw-your-labs case study.  I'm curious to see how the coconut flour pancakes will hold up to his standards.  


Ironman Florida: Dad carbo-loading at the pancake breakfast on my behalf 


In other news, after a 7-hour solid training day on Monday, I had an hour session of ART (active release technique) with this man, thanks to Amber's referral.  He confirmed that I "no longer walked like a man" after working on me.  It's good to know that I'm finally embracing my femininity.


Monte, from Kinetic Chain Sport



No comments:

Post a Comment