Thursday, May 17, 2012

In Da Club(s)

A few weeks ago, I officially joined the Master's swim team.  And by "official," that means that I paid money and got a flimsy card in the mail.  But now I can swim in their meets and open water events!


Club Hot Tub.  I know. You can hold your laughter for later.


For the past year and a half, I would scurry out from the locker room and pass the main pool where the Master's swimming practices would take place.  Sometimes the coach Tom would call out to me to join, and I would feel so bad/sad/embarrassed/scared.  My priorities were different last year; I had an awesome Ironman coach and I knew that doing my scheduled workouts from him would benefit me the most.  Plus, the thought of swimming with other people made me slightly nervous...it had been YEARS since I've had to circle swim and do a decent flipturn off the wall as to not the kick the swimmer on my toes right in the face.  And the intervals and pace clocks with your whole lane counting on you not to screw it up seemed too overwhelming after work.  I just wanted to chill and do my own workout, and if I messed up the interval, no one else suffered.  So I would keep walking to the saline pool.  And swim alone.  Day after day after day. (is this making you depressed yet?)


So this year, I decided to take a small step out of my comfort zone and join Master's.  The other night, I got stuck being the lane leader, which was a total sh*tshow.  There is one lane faster with fast guys, and I just so happened to be a tad faster than the people in my lane.  So Coach Tom designated me as the Loser Lane Leader.  The majority of the night went something like this- "We do the 150 on what? Is THIS the pull set, or is it the next one?  Oh CRAP! We were supposed to leave on the 15!! Oh wait, maybe on the 20? Or was it the 15? Was it the 15, guys?"  (I was always met with shrugs and red rosy cheeks from the lack of oxygen).  The sets were so insanely fast (I think I made them even faster because I couldn't remember when the interval was, so I just ended up starting them earlier) that I couldn't even catch my breath or think for that matter in between sets, and I just ended up confusing myself even more.  At one point, I was laughing underwater because I had mucked it up, was so anaerobic, and had 2 other swimmers unknowingly following behind me.  I kept profusely apologizing to my lane mates and everyone was super nice.  But they still made me lead the rest of the night.  Total comedy.  So, the lesson is- your worst fears can come true, but when you can laugh about it at the end of the day (or underwater, for that matter), it's all good. 


Recently, my Ironman Coaches Marv and Jo wrote another gem of a post. which pretty much sums up my last week.  Small adventures can be the start of something huge.  My small adventure of swimming with Master's allowed me to meet Dana.  I noticed her Ironman bag in the locker, and noticed HER.  She just looked like a triathlete. (I know, I can sniff 'em out pretty well).  We chatted about important stuff (Ironman, duh), rattled off our recent race splits, and after confirming that we both were not in the same age group, we became friends. :)


Hellooo Stud Dana!


If I could describe Dana in one word, it would be VIBRANT.  She is like pure sunshine embodied in a person.  If ever I decided to run a 50 miler, I would want Dana running beside me at mile 40.  She exudes positive energy and just makes you excited about stuff.  She could probably talk about biochemical pathways, and at the end of the conversation, I would want to pursue a degree in biochemistry.  With her encouragement, I promised to "check out the website for Forward Motion," and after seeing her the next day on Saturday, I agreed to check out the Sunday bike ride with the group, knowing that she would be there.  The rest, as they say, is history.


Officially registered on Tuesday, picked up my kit on Wednesday!

Dana joined me for the "bike" part of my triple swimbikerun day!

Don't let looks be deceiving; she looks so nice and innocent, but once she's in the saddle, she's a turbo cyclist in her crazy-aggressive aero position.  We had a blast.  Dana brought her friend Mandie along (she's training for IMAZ), and Mandie ended up joining me for part of my tempo run afterwards.  


Proof that picture-taking is an art.  Because some people still can't get it right.  Mandie is the one on the left.
(and this is what the world looks like to me without contacts.  So jealous of all you guys who got Lasik!)




So this is confirmation that "small" adventures can be the start of something huge.  And I can't wait to see what that "huge" will ultimately be- but I know you can never go wrong by living your dream and sharing your passion.


On my wall as a daily reminder.






No comments:

Post a Comment