Monday, May 28, 2012

The Three M's of Memorial Day Weekend

People say bad things happen in threes.  But for all of us optimists, good things happen in threes.  I've always loved the number 3, so it's no surprise that triathlon and 3-day weekends rank high on my 'most favorite things' list.  And so this post title follows suit...


Maid of honor duties
The word "duties" sounds so formal.  In reality, I'm just her sidekick, listening ear, and Pinterest go-to gal.  We're pretty similar, so I'm always in agreement with her (like duh, the photography budget should be one of the biggest expenses, and of course the groom doesn't understand this and wants his friends to take pics for free!).  She's not at all a Bridezilla, so even wedding dress shopping was a piece of cake (speaking of which, why does it cost $1.50 per person to cut a freakin' piece of cake?).


Kimi is ultra-efficient on the bike, so thankfully it translated to wedding dress shopping.  First bridal salon appointment = final wedding dress purchase.  Boom.


Wait 'til you see how stunning she'll look in this dress!  Men around the world are mourning.
This was a "lighting test" shot. If I kept up this kind of behavior, I'd be demoted from MOH to Guestbook Attendant in under ten seconds.  I am aware.


Manicures
This outing was the 2nd time we've seen each other in "normal" clothes and not clad in spandex.  We barely recognized each other at first with our hair curled and sporting full faces of makeup.  We smelled like perfume instead of chamois (!), so I maximized this opportunity and suggested mani/pedis.  


Kimi opted for the pedi, since she said her mani would get mucked up from all the stuff she does at work.  I didn't want to cause a 5 alarm fire with my "running toes" (I'll leave it at that), so I opted for the mani.


Getting her pedicure while simultaneously researching bridal accessories via iPhone.
I heart my Type A friends.
Is it just me, or does it seem like everytime the manicurist breaks out speaking Vietnamese I always feel like she's talking sh*t about me and my crappy-looking nails?  It almost makes me want to get the Rosetta Stone in Vietnamese, just so I know for sure.  I think I have issues.  Clearly.
I can't decide which is hotter- my manicure or the bike glove/Garmin watch tan line.


Speaking of hot, I can't handle spicy at all.  Spicy novels, yes.  A spicy love life?  Yes, please.  Spicy foods?  Not so much. 


At lunch, I ordered a sampler of ahi poke, bay scallop ceviche and shrimp ceviche.  I think the bay scallop one was potentially prepared on the same cutting board as some jalapeno peppers, so my mouth was on fire after one bite.  Kimi rated it as a 1.6 "spicy" on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being "very spicy."  I think the spiciest I can do now are Hot Tamales, and that's pushing it.  I would be such a disappointment if I were Mexican or Indian.


The "spicy" scallop ceviche in the middle.  :(


I made my way up to Alameda, and the rest of the night went something like this...


The rest of the night's pics are NSFW


Which resulted in a "Dana detox ride," this morning.  This meant that Dana rode at a snail's pace and let me sit behind her wheel on the windy sections, and didn't laugh when I wanted to turn around early or stop to "refuel."  Who "refuels" at mile 13?  Oh, that would be me.  And who prays for the road to be closed because she feels like crap?  Oh, that would be me too.  And who is stupid enough to do her first-ever crossfit-esque workout for an hour before her detox ride, so she is even more smashed before she starts riding?  You have only one guess.


We went with our blue kits today.  Cuz we be cool like that.
Dana is a keeper.  


Dana actually listens to my mindless chatter and remembers my inside jokes,
so when she sees things like this, she stops and finds it funny too!

She even buys me cool gifts that I LOVE. 


Miles
I have been a bit of a volume monster lately.  After joining FoMo, I've been training like a mofo! I won't bore you by rattling off stats (this isn't my Training Peaks log), but this week has been filled with MILES.  Glorious miles of swimbikerun.  There have been hard, hammering miles (Carquinez bridge ride), plenty of sandbagger miles (who me? Pull at the front?  Even for 10 seconds before I blow up?), fast swimming miles, slow 'spin-it-out' detox miles (ahem, like today), and post-work trail running miles where I pleasantly surprised myself with a quicker pace than usual. 


This 3-day weekend was just a reminder of all the good things in my life, and appreciating more fully my freedom in life and in love.  I'm cherishing the gift of old buddies and an old but incredibly loved road bike, all while welcoming in new friends, new riding routes, and new tan lines.  There's nothing but smiles in this corner of the world.  And since it is Memorial Day, I'll take this time to officially welcome summer!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete