Friday, May 4, 2012

Like Mother, Like Daughter


I reserved all of next Saturday for my mom- to be spent however she wanted to spend it, and by doing whatever she wanted to do.  I figured that if she had spent more than 1/2 of her life reserving everyday to help me spend my time how I wanted to spend it, and by helping me accomplish the things that I had set out to do (via driving me there, supporting me and paying for lessons), I could give her one day. ;) Initially, she wanted to go to Half Moon Bay but also had mentioned that "hanging out in Walnut Creek or in Danville" would be fun. (I'm envisioning walks near the water, browsing Main Street storefronts, over-priced fancy meals, etc etc)

My dad filled up the air in my sister's mountain bike and my mom rode around the cul-de-sac last week.  The woman is on a roll now.  I called her today to discuss the plans for next weekend, and she told me all she wanted to do was to ride her bike on Ironhorse trail, since it's flat and newbie-friendly.  Then she proceeded to tell me that she wanted to check out my fancy-schmancy gym.  I kept asking, "Are you sure you want to do this?!?  This is how you want to spend your Saturday?"  Partly because I am in such disbelief, and also because (hello!) this is how I love to spend my weekends too...moving my body and enjoying the sunshine.  It was like talking to an older version of myself...kinda weird.

The awesome saline pool I can't wait for her to swim in!
Growing up, my mom would drive my sister and me on special occasions to a "nicer" pool in Pleasanton (Dolores Aquatic Swim Center).  This was a real treat because we would always swim at the same pool (CVHS) in our hometown, so driving farther to a bigger pool that had an actual separate diving pool and a real snack bar on premise was like going to Disneyland (for swimmers).  I remember eating licorice on the grass with my sister as we'd watch my mom during "adult swim" gracefully swim laps back and forth.  Those coveted 10 minutes where she wasn't interrupted by kids swimming straight into her or splashing around must have gone by so quickly before all the kids jumped back in the water.

So now, the tables are turned, and I can't wait to show her my saline pool and allow her to fall in love with the water again. She instilled in me a love for swimming as a child, and I am so very grateful!

Hello, twinsies!


So, our itinerary (albeit rough) for next Saturday:
-beginner yoga 10:30-11:30am (totally her idea too, I swear)
-check out the saline swimming pool and lap swim 11:45-12:30pm?
-go back to my place, get the bikes and ride on Ironhorse to a fun outside lunch destination where we can have our bikes close by near our tables (any suggestions for places in Danville/off the Ironhorse?)

This is semi-hilarious and semi-unbelievable.  At this rate, I should just register us for a Mother's Day 5K.  

No comments:

Post a Comment