Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pumpkin Chia Pudding.

I know what you're thinking.  This recipe is so seasonally inappropriate.  Here we are in the middle of summer, and I'm pulling out pumpkin recipes.  But if Target can get away with bringing out bikinis in early February after the biggest binge season of the year, and start stocking the shelves with back-to-school items during the prime-time of summer (ahem, the end of June), well, I can post pumpkin recipes in July.


And everyone knows that I'm borderline inappropriate most times, so here goes nothing:


My new favorite snack/recovery food.


Pumpkin Chia Pudding
Ingredients:
-1 c. pumpkin puree
-1 c. almond milk
-1 scoop vanilla or unflavored whey protein 
-2 Tbs. chia seeds
-3 small scoops of glutamine powder
-2 tsp of cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice 
-sweetener of choice: maple syrup, agave, Splenda, sugar, high fructose corn syrup (kidding, just checking to see if you were reading carefully)


Directions: Mix the above ingredients together and let the mixture sit for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.  This will allow the chia seeds to expand and absorb the liquid, creating a pudding consistency.


I add this to all of my recovery smoothies. It's like Wellbutrin for my muscles. Keeps 'em happy.
I glammed this recipe up and am now using this as a "recovery" pudding- hence the addition of protein powder and glutamine.  I used Bipro protein powder since it was unflavored and dissolved well.  I love how this is brimming with superfoods- 

  • Pumpkin puree: contains high amounts of the antioxidant beta-carotene
  • Chia seeds: contains omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, protein
  • Whey protein powder: has branch chain amino acids to help strengthen, build and repair muscles
  • L-Glutamine: helps support muscle growth and recovery, immune and intestinal health, and preserves muscles after intense training and during times of stress
  • Cinnamon: helps control blood sugar, reduces LDL cholesterol levels, and reduces pain linked to arthritis
It's like the modern-day pumpkin pudding version of the Showtime rotisserie...you set it and forget it.  I mixed all the ingredients together and put it in the fridge.  After doing some weights/core work, and sweating through a Sufferfest trainer video, my pudding was done!  Boom.


*Btw, I used to think Spinervals were the gift from the cycling gods. I used to think Coach Troy Jacobson was the man, and I would secretly try not to hate him from my stationary trainer, as he would hold his timer in his hand and "coach" you.  Then Dana told me about Sufferfest videos, and my life has been forever changed.  Instead of watching other sweaty people as miserable as you are on your trainer, you are instead in a simulated "race."  So much more fun.


From Sufferfest's "Hell Hath No Fury" video...how can you not hammer when you see THAT on the screen?


So go ahead and train hard and celebrate summer.  Go big.  Eat pumpkin chia pudding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment