Sunday, July 22, 2012

Storytime. Have You Told Yours?

One week until my big "A" race of the year.  This is the time when most prepared athletes consider tapering.  This is when underprepared athletes cram like scared little 10th graders taking the AP History exam.  I've done more crying and yoga this weekend than I did all year.


I'm not too sure where I fall, since my preparation for this was self-coached.  Like a total unplan plan.  Ever since I switched races from the Full Vineman to the Aquabike, all I've wanted to do is run.  Go figure.  I've learned that 10 miles feels normal now.  My mile splits are now consistently 30 seconds faster than they were before. My swim and bike are probably the same, if not slower than before.  Life is funny like that. 


Yesterday was my grandma's memorial service.  My uncle presented a 'brief' personal history of her 105 years; most of it was pieced together through stories and confirmations by the children.  There were 3 marriages and 11 children.  Some of the overlapping dates and gaps in time were a little fuzzy, but who are we to judge? In between those pieces of objective information, I knew there was a much more intricate and deeper layer of love, loss, rebuilding, fear, resilience, betrayal, strength, and overcoming.




It made me think about my own life story; for the random chunks that people know, and for all the fuzzy areas that I leave no one to judge except for myself.  People will always have their own opinions, but at the end of the day, you are the one who understands the intentions and truth.  I remember how someone who knew of the "chunks" had once asked me in the most lovingly way possible, "With everything you went through, were you ever suicidal?"  


I think about how my close friendships have been built upon the sharing of our own life stories, and how strong connections were founded upon vulnerability and transparency.  Yet few have the faith and strength to venture into that realm.  This makes me sad.  If only we could be bold enough to share the "in between" lessons with others, and not just the big pieces- perhaps we could positively influence the outcomes of their own stories...


Speaking of pieces- I'm hoping they all come together on Saturday.  Thank you to everyone who contributed to making this Vineman journey a success so far-  Thank you for understanding how much I love this sport, for those encouraging emails when most weekends were a party for one on the bike and in the pool, for not guilt-tripping me over missed late-night game/movie nights, for not fighting the early wake-up calls to go swimming, and for supporting my experimental pre-race diet plan and eating my sushi rice and letting me eat the fish on top.  Love you all.  May you all know how unique and significant your own life stories are, and how each of you has impacted my own journey that takes place off the bike and out of the pool.  xoxo.













No comments:

Post a Comment