Sunday, April 6, 2014

Crewvans.

Pretty much everyone knows about my obsession with green drinks.


Limes have been the newest addition to my green machine. <3  
But not many people know that I've had a secret fascination with ultra-endurance events.  Badwater- the 135-mile ultrarun in Death Valley.  Or hearing the story of Adam Scully-Power, who was the first man to run the 163-mile Pan-Mass challenge.  The athletes themselves are amazing, but what I've found even more interesting was the tremendous energy it required of their crew to ensure the athletes' success.  For Adam Scully-Power, he hit a dark place mentally as he put his reflector vest on once again while he watched the sun set for the second time during his run.  During the last 3 miles of his 163-mile run, he shares about how his wife ran next to him, both of them crying, as she read texts from friends who had lost loved ones from cancer.  This was what he needed at that time- his crew knew it wasn't one more gel or water bottle.  His crew knew what to tell him in order to reignite the purpose and meaning behind his athletic feat, allowing him to finish those last few miles.

Last week, I heard Osher Gunsberg talk about these events and the importance of the crew- "Life is very, very hard. Everyone should have that van full of people driving next to them in the middle of the night saying, 'It's gonna be cool man. We've got boxes of supplies. If you get weird, I'll come and run with you. It's gonna be fine. I've got spare shoes- I can talk you through the hard parts.'  No one blinks that an athlete would have a crewvan of people - a support when they're trying to do an enormous task. Well get this- life is hard.  Life is an enormous task.  There shouldn't be any type of stigma attached to the fact that you need a crew. You don't do it alone. You've got a team of people."




I think whenever you step out into new territory that is challenging and unknown, fear can be paralyzing.  I've come to really appreciate my crewvan and I know that my success is largely because of their support.  PK listened to me brainstorm my ideas aloud and offered advice to me for the past two weeks, always encouraging me.  Another friend told me to set up my table "like you would your transition station for a race"- meaning deliberately and with purpose, since being well-prepared makes me feel less anxious.  Emails, prayers and phone calls with words of affirmation were appreciated so much too.

This past Saturday, I switched this...
The usual Saturday morning business (photo cred: AD)

...for this...


Giving my first nutrition seminar!
Finally getting some answers...
Here are some answers that I've realized this past week-

-You are your own worst critic.
-If you are seeking novel ideas and are feeling stuck, go for a run without music.  You will return with your creativity tank full and achieve an incredible sense of clarity.
-You know more than you think you know.
-If you set your intentions to be of service, to inspire, and to teach others in order to improve their heath and well-being, you will achieve all of that and more.
-Things get easier with time.  The first time is always the hardest.
-When you achieve your sense of flow, you won't need your notes. 
-When you don't need your notes, you are speaking from your heart.
-If you can teach from your heart and you see smiling faces in your audience, it's confirmation that you've found your passion in life.

And to me, this makes a good life.
(and also the fact that a few more people are going to try chia seeds and coconut oil also makes it pretty sweet too...)

Below is a clip from one of my favorite podcasts, "The Good Life Project" by Jonathan Fields...




Who is in your crewvan?  What makes a good life?  These are heavy and important questions, but definitely worth pondering...


No comments:

Post a Comment