Sunday, April 27, 2014

Good Stuff.

Yup. Sounds about right.
I saw this quote, and thought it summed up the past week and a half pretty well.  These days have been filled with lots of fun adventures, trying new poses, new recipes, new riding routes.  


So close to touching my hands together! #workinprogress
On Monday, I had the worst bike ride I've had in a long time.  It was my fault, my breakfast was sub-par and rushed, and I paid for it in a big way.  The fact that I did weighted squat jumps the day before probably didn't help my legs much either.  Mid-ride I found myself at the gas station, where I inhaled a Clifbar and a banana.  I actually bought a banana and ate it. (For those who know me, I hate plain bananas...barf!!) But desperate times call for desperate measures.  PIC was the best and she pulled me all the way through the wind and was so nice.  I was a mess mentally and physically.  It felt nice not to be judged, but to just chalk it up to another adventure.

I guess you win some, you lose some.  Yesterday was a new day with a new riding buddy.  My legs felt better, but they still had a hard time keeping up with the ever-speedy Michelle!  I think when you hear someone's story and it resonates with you, you can't help but become emotionally involved.  Stories of love and loss, sharing long bike rides with the person you care about most, and navigating the roads again- alone.  We climbed and cried together.  It's like going from riding a tandem and being the stoker to all of a sudden having to ride your own bike, pedal your own weight, and become your own captain of the ride.  I think once you've been there and survived, it becomes easier to hold space for others.  When your past pain can allow you to empathize and help another, it really brings things full circle.  I love that.


There is always beauty after a storm. Trust me.
Onto the recipes.  I suppose failure is a part of the process.  So I am learning to enjoy the process.  I love PK because she gives good constructive feedback.  There were no blueberries at the store so I swapped them out for raspberries, which made things taste less sweet and watered down the muffin.  And I guess extra eggs don't pick up the slack for not adding butter or another fat.  Even a printed recipe can use modification, I suppose.  Back to the drawing board for these muffins...


Lemon raspberry coconut flour muffins. Or, as I'd say, what not to do to a muffin.
And I've realized too how much I need the water.  I saw some parents on deck barking orders /coaching their kids- they were super strict, making them do drills and timing their splits.  It was a Saturday, for cryin' out loud.  A part of me hoped that the kids wouldn't be bitter, but rather that they would appreciate this gift and love the water.  Never would I think that I would return again and again to the pool for stress-relief, to calm my mind, and come up with my most creative projects.  There's something about the water that I am drawn to...


"Your sacred space is where you can find yourself again and again." -Joseph Campbell
It's a good day too when you find a piece of clothing that reflects what you love!


Thank you Express, for making a portofino shirt with bikes on it.  My wardrobe is now complete!
I can't believe that May is just around the corner.  Cheers to new adventures, connecting with good people, and growing.  In a few days, I'll be in the Santa Cruz mountains to continue this theme...

No comments:

Post a Comment