Saturday, December 14, 2013

Mosaic.


I got two massages this week by different massage therapists.  And they were two completely different experiences- not necessarily 'bad' or 'good,' but each had a unique 'thumb," so to speak, while working with my muscles.  One had an extensive knowledge of muscle physiology since she was an athlete herself, and I left the room feeling like all those painful knots finally got some attention.  The other massage therapist had a lighter touch and perhaps less experience, but it was her life story that touched my heart.  There's something about being completely naked on a table in front of a stranger that makes me ask really good questions.  It's like the act of being stripped down makes me turn the tables and strip down their walls and find out who they truly are.  And she was equally as vulnerable and answered my questions and was not afraid to unveil her past and share her story that led her to massage.  I left that massage feeling profoundly different- not necessarily muscularly-speaking, but my heart was touched, loosened, more malleable.  Both were amazing experiences but in completely different ways.

Even if it is the same activity, different people can provide different perspectives.  Today's bike ride with some new (and old) friends was the perfect solution to my off-season burnout funk.  It was motivating to hear some of their 2014 race goals (Ironman Cairns! Wildflower!) and hearing their excited chatter about race wheel deals and powertap machines reminded me of why I love this sport so much.  It's about having fun, getting better, getting stronger, getting faster, and having goals.

I'm still nailing down the last one- it's been a work in progress.  I know for a fact though, that a good goal for me right now is to look forward. I need to stop overanalyzing (Coach's wise words, not mine). 


I need to stop looking back in the past.  Forward facing, from now on.
Bring it on, 2014!


Proof that winter base miles can be fun!
Oh, you know, just doing our usual mid-ride yoga stretches...
                                 
Oh yeah, and new toys make it more fun too!
So yes, lots of work to do, lots of fun to be had in the near future.  For now, I am celebrating the joy that comes from hearing about different journeys, and being inspired by different people.  A mosaic, if you will- and when the light shines through, that's when it's the most breath-taking and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment