Sunday, December 1, 2013

Butterflies.

"We delight in the beauty of the butterfly, but rarely admit the changes it has gone through to achieve that beauty." -Maya Angelou


Seen on my run today...
Change has been a prominent theme in my life lately.  So it seemed fitting that during today's short run close to sunset, I was accompanied by butterflies.  It was strange phenomenon- I didn't even know butterflies resided on that hill.  So I took it as a sign- a symbol- validating that this current stage of "change" was exactly where I needed to be in life.

It's a fact that everyone changes.  We need to change in order to grow.  It is a gift to have friends who stand by you, especially during those crucial years- who love and accept every single beautiful and flawed aspect of yourself, and remain loyal.  Other friendships come into our lives, serve a direct purpose, and then suddenly exit.  It's these others that I am learning to let go of, with grace, with non-judgement.  Sometimes the foundation of the friendship is based on a common thread (and not always a positive, empowering one), so with change comes goodbyes.  In most cases, I am the one doing the exiting.  

Today I had the privilege to spend some time with a woman who I deeply admire.  She has witnessed me grow up from a little girl, has celebrated my triumphs, encouraged me during my darkest hours, and has inspired me to never lose hope.  We also happen to share the same birthday.  She is transparent, humble, and hopeful always.  I looked her in the eyes- here is a woman who has been through hell and back, and not only survived, but is thriving. I saw in her someone who has embraced change- not only in the letting go, but also in the allowing back in.  As she shared her wisdom, I looked at her and saw a butterfly.  

These were given to me a few weeks ago and reminded me of today.
We were both born on November 2nd, but one is much wiser...
And in the spirit of this blog, I feel like a caterpillar finally emerging from the cocoon (aka. cam-walker boot and brace) and testing out my wings (running feet)... It's been beautiful and refreshing for my spirit...

Changing leaves + crisp weather = happy girl
This is true ananda (bliss)...

No comments:

Post a Comment