Sunday, April 21, 2013

Ohana.

At first I was going to write a race report, but this really wasn't considered a "race."  In the eyes of the Aussie coach, it was merely a "training session" where he happened to bring a lot more people out to 'play' with.

For me, it was a chance to witness firsthand how our team really is like ohana.


As evidenced on most Sunday rides... ;)
Being single in this sport can be both a blessing and a curse.  I can go to sleep as early as I need to without being guilt-tripped, or wake-up at 4:45am without disrupting someone else's sleep.  But sometimes it helps to have a partner- There were times in the past when I'd come back from work, my bike would be all ready to ride- tires pumped, chain lubed, hydration drinks mixed and in the bottles, and I would just change and we'd roll out to ride before the sunset.  There were race mornings where I'd just hop in the car and sleep, and the directions and navigation were in someone else's reliable hands.  

Saturday I felt very well-taken care of.  Hulk and Wolfie packed my bike up the day before to make things easier logistically.  Race morning, they picked me up at 3:45am.  I slept like a baby.  Not having to drive, fight for parking, and get lost in an area with no reception was a huge load off of my shoulders.


Hulk and Wolfie.
Hulk pushes me in the pool and on the bike, Wolfie pushes me on the track.
Stinger and Transformer went down the day before and picked up everyone and their mother's packets, t-shirts, and water bottles.  It saved a lot of us from having to stand in line race morning and waste precious time that could be spent on important things- like getting our hair braided or standing in the porta-potty line.


Super Sherpa Stinger and Transformer.
This was Transformer's first sprint triathlon and she did amazing!
(Mom, if you're reading, this is the lady I've been talking about!)
Race bib pickup with an added bonus- can you spot the good luck smiley face?

The night before, Warrior gave me my race-day inspiration that turned into my mantra....SHINE.  Today was the day to step out of the shadows and into the light, allowing my inner light to shine.  Her words were a huge encouragement and ran through my mind the entire time.  I literally could not stop smiling the entire time I was on the bike- I felt like Chrissie Wellington, all smiles.  I was just so grateful to be in that moment, doing what I love, and feeling so good doing it.


Race-day mantra.
Race day priorities.  Clearly.
Everything we had done in training already; I have never felt so smooth in my swim and effortless on the bike.  I raced naked- no Garmin, no heartrate monitor, no computer- I felt that data would only be limiting since my goal was just to go fast.  The results that our team had were solid- and that speaks volumes about the incredible coaching and guidance we've received over the past 11 weeks.  Aside from learning cool new words, the Aussie's unique training philosophy and coaching structure have transformed all of us from average athletes to 'thinking' athletes who are more relaxed and race faster.  




And thanks to Coach, Saturday turned out to be a pretty good "training session." 


 "Team Mom" Rising Phoenix and I took 1st and 2nd place.
Wolfie gobbled up enough prey to land her a 2nd place AG win!
I am so grateful to be surrounded by inspiring people who make me a better person and a better athlete.  




And just like family members all have nicknames for each other, I had to follow suit in the writing of this post.  Hence all the crazy nicknames.  We really are like family.  We really are ohana.

No comments:

Post a Comment