Sunday, February 24, 2013

Enjoying the Process...

So often many of us are so fixated on a goal, on a certain outcome, on a destination- myself included.

One of my dad's many masterpieces, now residing at my place!

Being in the presence of a master ceramicist (my dad) and working with clay was a gentle reminder to enjoy the process.  I started out by making pinch bowls, just to get a feel for the clay.  It felt so freeing to work with my hands; to use my thumbs and transform a glob of clay into a bowl by starting from the center and working my way out.

The pinchbowls I made (left); my cup I made on the wheel (right).

My second bowl was ironically more difficult to make.  The walls became thin and as I tried to 'fix' it, it seemed to become increasingly more uneven.  At one point I became frustrated.  I was tempted to ball the entire thing up into a glob again and start over, but then decided to stop being so attached to making a perfect bowl.  I ended up folding some of the walls in and it suddenly became a star bowl. 

Working the wheel was a different story.  It took me awhile to get a feel for the clay, to learn how much pressure to exert, how much water to add to make it pliable, and how to fold my hands and cup the clay in order to center it and form it.


Working the wheel...

I asked my dad what the most common mistake he saw in people when they worked the wheel.  He answer resonated deeply with me.  "They rush the process.  They try to get from A to Z in 30 seconds.  It's not going to happen that way."

The beauty of ceramics is that you may have in mind what type of piece you will create, but it may change as you work with the clay.  It is a continual process of reworking the same piece of clay until you achieve your final product.  Similarly in sport, just as clay is constantly being reshaped and reformed, training plans sometimes must be modified.  There is no one perfect training plan because adjustments always have to be made...what if you feel more fatigued than usual?  Have life-stressors that affect your training?  Are dealing with injuries?


Modification #1: Water running for now...

Growing up, my dad's ceramics were everywhere in our house.  They graced the tables at church during potlucks, and decorated the houses of friends and family.   It was apparent that as a ceramicist, once you are done with a piece, you still continue to create more, as your work is a snapshot of your expression and manifestation of who you are.


Pieces drying and ready to be fired soon...all part of the process...
Dad found an old bowl I had made from (10+??) years ago!
Now it's going to be fired and glazed with the others.

In sport, oftentimes athletes get so caught up in a goal or "A" race.  But after they cross that finish line, then what?  If it was all about crossing the Ironman finish line for me, I would have hung up the bike and wetsuit after Nov. 2011.  I am learning that like a ceramicist, it is not about that one piece of pottery that I create, I just enjoy the process and the journey of becoming a more refined master of my trade, and making adjustments where needed as I learn more about myself, my pre-conceived limits (and how to surpass them), and how much more there is to go.  


Learning tactical group riding skills.
And how being the only girl isn't an excuse to slack off.

I have so enjoyed this triathlon journey through the years but also have to remind myself to be patient as I gain more skills, technique and mental confidence.  Be fully present.  And don't rush the process.  Just like dad said (funny how he is usually right).


No comments:

Post a Comment