Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sharing the Same Spirit...

"The water is your friend...you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move." -Alexandr Popov

It's pretty awesome to finish your cooldown to this backdrop.
 I'm starting to love mornings again.
I've always thought of the water as my friend, but now I'd say that we are being reacquainted once again.  I've pretty much swam the same way for almost 25+ years...the same swivel of the hips, hand entry, "S" shaped curve down my body with my arm...

All of that is changing, and I am embracing a new technique and way of moving through the water.  I used to repeat "skewer" to myself while I swam, as a visual reminder to rotate my shoulders and hips and keep my core centered.

Coach made it clear- I'm not a kabob.  I'm a swimmer.

I'm relearning my entire swim technique; thinking quite consciously about not making an "S" curve, and instead feeling my hands pull me through the water with one streamline forward pull.  I feel like I'm hydroplaning.  And I feel faster. 

Just like swim technique evolves through time, so do we as individuals.  Don't stick to old school techniques just because they were the best way back when.  Learn to adapt and embrace change.  Trust the process.  Trust your coach.  Trust yourself.

Then you will truly share the same spirit as the water- as a fluid-like and seamlessly calm and courageous individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment