Sunday, October 20, 2013

Fogginess.

I'm all about maximizing things.  And one thing is for sure- I'm taking full advantage of this Indian summer.  I'm doing my best to enjoy every ounce of sunshine during October before rainy season is upon us.  Because let's be honest, indoor trainer sessions sadly don't provide the same endorphin rush...

I've been addicted lately to the coast.  There's something soothing about the ocean and the waves, and whether I've headed up the coast or down the coast, one thing rings true-  It makes my heart really happy.  I think if everyone in the world could escape for an hour just to sit and watch the sun sparkle along the water's edge, the world would be a much better place.  People would be kinder and calmer.  We would be more patient as a whole.  Witnessing the endless blue ocean and the horizon line is a reminder of how small we really are in the grander scheme of life.  It reminds us that there is a bigger picture.

View from our lunchspot near Tomales Bay..
Enjoying oysters at The Marshall Store
Today's ride started out extremely foggy.  Visibility was scarce, and my fingers were crossed that the cars would see our rear small red blinking light. 


Really diggin' the Zipps...
After a few hours heading back down to Santa Cruz, all the fog had burned off and beautiful deep hues of the ocean and the sky were breathtaking.  And then, bam, it occurred to me.  The beauty was there all along.  The fog was just covering it up.  How true- in life, love, and sport.

Sure, be aware of the fog, but also practice patience and trust that it will burn off to reveal something beautiful that's been there all along.


Heading back to Santa Cruz on Highway 1
Sometimes I feel cheated that I was never able to race my "A" race.  All this work since February at times felt like a huge loss, and some mornings when the alarm still rings before 5am, I really have to wonder, "What am I working towards?"  It's been encouraging to see athletes work through injuries and take months off from running, only to come back stronger than ever.   So then I remind myself that in due time, this season's fog will burn off and will reveal something fast and amazing (fingers crossed!).  I just need to stay present and keep showing up.

If you currently feel like you are in a fog, plagued with an injury or in a muddled relationship, remember to give it time.  Be patient.  Learn all you can from this frustrating season so you can channel it into helpful tools to aid others in the future.  When you can use your own personal experiences to be of service to others, it transforms you as well.  And that is true beauty, which has been there all along.  In due time, the fog will finally burn off, and you will recognize it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment