Monday, September 2, 2013

Making Lemonade.

So it's been exactly one week since my appointment with the BadNewsBear.  A few things I've learned from wearing the boot:
-Sadly, I was actually able to walk faster in my boot than some people and found myself saying, "On your left..." (yes, like a true cyclist).
-Homeless people even felt sorry for me.  A lady said, "Oh, honey, I'm sooo sorry.  I know how it is!!" (Really??)
-It's easier to walk up the stairs in a boot than down the stairs (kind of like post-marathon).
-The outfits still sucked.
-It helped a lot with minimizing my foot pain. (Duh, but the last time I took Advil was Saturday.  Winning!!)

Speaking of winning, this helped get my spirits up. (Thanks, Hulk!)
It's a strange thing- when you know you can't do something, it makes you want to do it even more.  I see pictures of my friends' trail runs and it makes me crave the moment when I can actually hit the dirt again and be surrounded by the Redwood trees.  I just want to run! (Remind me of this later, please...)

But I am thankful that I can still enjoy nature on two wheels.  And you better believe that I took advantage of this weekend to breathe in the fresh air, spin the legs, and surround myself with as many trees and mountains that I could pedal towards.

Redwoods, sun, and the breeze on my face... #loveontwowheels
There's always something special about those sunset spins...
On Saturday I ran across this...

They had Gatorade too! Smart girls...
It was reminder that yes, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade!  The two girls reminded me of my sister and me when we were young and had lemonade and cookie sales on our cul-de-sac.  Maybe it was meant to be that I only had a $20 bill- big tips are always a good thing when you're a kid.  

Oh, and remember Mr. Celery? 

Mr. Celery.  Yes, I name my plants.
Instead of allowing him to die a slow death in my apartment, I handed him off to my friend PK who has an incredible green thumb.  

Look what she helped him become!

No, he's not taking 'roids.  PK just knows how to make him grow!
And this weekend I was able to enjoy the fruit of her labor...

It's like the Celery Circle of Life!
It was a tangible reminder that we must position ourselves in places that will positively support our development.  With the right people around us, we can turn potentially devastating situations and circumstances into opportunities for new change and growth.  The right people, sunshine, and water have always seemed to be the perfect combo for me...

 And not only in sport, but in love too.  Sometimes it helps to have friends who have got your back, have a glass of wine sitting and waiting for you on the table when you need to vent, and who help get you started on your way to new adventures... 

Cheers to that! 


No comments:

Post a Comment