Thursday, August 29, 2013

A New Song...

You know how certain songs can put you in a certain mood?  Sometimes I hear a song, and all the emotions from that time in my life come swirling back.  It's like I've traveled back to that moment, and really deeply feel all the feelings from that experience.  My friend introduced me to Bon Iver a few years ago after a horrible break-up, and somehow, hearing his melancholy voice made me feel my sadness in such a deep way that it was actually healing. I listened to his music while getting ready for work, while driving, and at night.  I probably was borderline clinically depressed, but those songs brought me down and raised me back up again.  On Sunday during a yoga class, I could faintly hear them playing Bon Iver's song "Re: Stacks"- and in a moment, I was transported back to that lonely time in my life and could feel sadness sweep over me.

Sometimes those songs are helpful.  And sometimes you need to change the playlist.

"Those who wish to sing always find a song..."
Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive and encouraging during such a hard week.  Your emails, texts, hugs, and messages have meant a lot.  I am blessed to be surrounded by people who help me see the bigger picture, who make me smile, who don't make fun of my boot, who listen to my feelings and validate them, and who inspire me to get out there and go after life!

I am choosing happiness.  Today I was back in the water, chasing Hulk down as best as I could, and thankful that things are healing.  I can't wait for the time when I can finally run again, but I am learning patience right now.  So, what's next?  I can't exactly answer that question, but the song in my heart right now is a new one, and a happy one...


No comments:

Post a Comment