Wednesday, November 21, 2012

#1: Grow Some Sprouts

I'll preface this post by saying that I almost killed a succulent plant once, so clearly my thumb isn't green.

A few years ago, I attempted to grown sprouts the 'old-fashioned' way in mason jars and cheesecloth.  I'm sure many people have successfully done this, but I didn't.  I was so disgusted by the final product.  What appeared to be a confused mess of half-grown broccoli sprouts actually confused me and I wasn't sure if they were moldy or edible, so I ended up chucking the entire thing into the trash.  

Lately I've been obsessed with putting sprouts in my meals.  Aside from the added nutritional benefits, I love the zesty flavor they add to my salads.  I realized how much money I was spending on microgreens and spicy sprouts and thought it would be fun to grow my own.  


Making the transition from store-bought to home-grown.
However, this time around I needed a more fool-proof method.  Like a kit.  Enter Hometown Seeds, a company that profits from wannabe spouters like me.  They also have a wide selection of organic seeds.

Sprouting kit.  I ordered organic daikon, radish and broccoli sprouts.
 It came with alfalfa sprouts (the iceburg lettuce equivalent of sprouts)

Soak your seeds 8-12 hours prior to placing them into the trays.

The four layer dish design gives you the option of sprouting a variety of seeds that allows for adequate drainage.


Daikon sprouts are on top, beet sprouts are underneath...
Just rinse the seeds with 2 cups of water twice a day.  I like this tray because it's easy and convenient and doesn't take up much counter space.

It's like "set it and forget it."  Kind of.  


Trying out the fresh daikon sprouts on my bed of beets, arugula, cucumber, tofu, red onions and avo
Sprouts topping and enhancing the flavor of tri-color quinoa with shiitake, edamame and wild salmon.
I'm on a sprouting craze right now, so let me know if you'd like to sample some.  $2.00 a bag.  Kidding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment