Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Just Write.

"Your feet are swollen, you need to make a dentist appointment, the dog needs to be let out, you have to defrost the chicken and make a phone call to your cousin in Boston, you're worried about your mother's glaucoma, you forgot to put film in the camera, Safeway has a sale on solid white tuna, you are waiting for a job offer, you just bought a computer and you have to unpack it. You have to start eating sprouts and stop eating doughnuts, you lost your favorite pen, and the cat peed on your current notebook.

Take out another notebook, pick up another pen, and just write, just write, just write. In the middle of the world, make one positive step. In the center of chaos, make one definitive act. Just write. Say yes, stay alive, be awake. Just write. Just write. Just write."

-Natalie Goldberg, Writing Down the Bones


2014- a year in review...

Yesterday I filled the last page in my journal, which I started writing in on January 1st. What an amazing year of writing it's been, as metaphors, poetry, to-do lists and miracles filled those lines on each page. I am astonished at how such a simple of act of picking up the pen each day has allowed me to discover so much about myself. So even if I slept poorly and I have a million emails to return and programs to write and shoes to lace up and bike tires to pump up and green smoothies to make and hair to curl and eyeliner to apply, I pick up the pen and write. Just write. Just write. Just write.


No comments:

Post a Comment