Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Sweet Spot.

My favorite part of the trail.  With my favorite trail buddy.
During one windy bike ride, I remember Hulk telling me to tuck behind the wheel in front of me and "find that sweet spot."  You know, that perfect spot where you are shielded from the wind and can pedal easily and effortlessly in the draft.  You continue to move at a fast pace, but with absolute flow and ease.

Lately, I feel like I've hit a sweet spot in life.  I think back at the numerous paths that my life could have taken, and how drastically different things would be now if I had followed down those roads.  Back when I was 24, I thought I would be married and have kids by the time I was 32.  I've learned that happiness and success are not contingent on the trajectories (heavily constructed by society and culture) that I held for myself way back when.  Things change.  But more importantly, I've changed.

What if I had stayed in Southern California?  What if I had gotten married?  The endings to those scenarios that I  sometimes envision fall short of what I would consider being truly happy and fulfilled.

The path I'm on now feels more authentic- it feels good under my feet and I'm always curious to see what is beyond the next curve.  The feelings of joy and gratitude fill my heart- not fear- and for me, this is monumental.

I'm reading more books.
I'm watercoloring.
I'm meditating.
I'm surrounding myself with quality individuals who motivate and challenge me to aim for higher levels- physically, mentally and spiritually.  
And of course, I'm loving every minute of swimbikerun.

Life isn't always easy.  I know that.
So it makes it that much better when you hit a sweet spot.





No comments:

Post a Comment