Sunday, January 29, 2012

Big Lessons From Small Gains...

I've had a lot of sub-par runs in my life.  But somedays (and these are rare days for me), everything "clicks" and I can finally see and feel the improvements of the countless miles I've invested into my running.  Today was one of those days.  The sun was shining, and I decided to run the perimeter of Lake Chabot, opposite of the clockwise route I normally do.  I focused on a quick stride, and keeping my upper body relaxed.


Running has never come easy to me.  In elementary school, the only limiting factor almost preventing me from getting my National Physical Fitness award was THE MILE.  I am capitalizing it because this was how huge of an obstacle it was for me mentally and physically.  I set records in the sit-and-reach, pullups, situps, but THE MILE was the one thing I always struggled with.  Whether it was my flat feet or how my feet are prone to blistering, I think I could barely get under 12 minutes.  I remember rounding the final lap of that mile, seeing my P.E. teacher in the distance, and feeling the lactic acid in my legs and my lungs burning.  I don't think I've ever felt so awful in my life.  I still remember the feeling of wanting to vomit.  Perhaps this has haunted me as an athlete, but even in triathlon, I dread the run.


I've embraced running much more now, and actually enjoy it as I feel stronger and faster (for me).  Today I was noticing how much easier it was to hold a steady pace and still maintain a faster leg turnover.  I couldn't help but smile.  I passed hikers and and walkers coming towards me, and I had this amazing grin on my face.  Recently, I've been able to move past grudges and forgive, and this has lifted a huge weight from my shoulders.  Being angry doesn't help the situation.  It makes you stuck- stuck in your bitterness like a muddy trail.  With each step, the mud accumulates on your shoes until your feet are so heavy you can't lift them any longer.  Perhaps the lightness I felt on this run was symbolic of me being able to finally let go and move forward.


After running up and down the hills, I finished the 9th mile in under 9 minutes.  For me, that was huge. It  was a tangible reminder that with time, things get easier.  It may not be instant, but with perseverance and the right attitude, the body and soul get stronger.


I headed to the pool afterwards for a 4000m recovery swim.  I love the water, and especially when it's sunny, this is my happy place.  Even though I was tired from my run, I was able to consistently come in on the 1:10 for my fast 100s.  In high school, I thought that I had reached my fastest potential as a swimmer, but I have only gotten stronger and faster with time.  I know that always pushing the envelope a little in swimbikerun has only improved my capability as an athlete.  If we always train at a comfortable pace, we can never truly realize what we can accomplish.  The motto of today was- "You are stronger than you think you are."


Faster running and swimming times mean nothing if those same lessons can't be applied to real life.  Needless to say, I am taking this motto and allowing it to permeate into other areas of my life.  We all have potential, and we are all stronger than we think we are.  Like running, I know it will take time and perseverance.  There will no Garmin to track progress, but I will be able to look back one day and see how far I've come.  And this brings a huge smile to my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment